Loris

Default New Style Dialog box

I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 at work. When I try to create a new
style, the dialog box does not have an underline button nor a Text color
button. Instead it has a drop down text box listing: Latin, Asian, and
Complex. How do I get rid of that and get the other buttons like I have on
my home PC?

Also, how do I change the Help system font and font size?
Joe McGuire

Your post is a little confusing. I assume you are talking about creating
styles in Word., this being a forum concerning that program. But I cannot
recall such "buttons" in connection with styles for Word 2002 or even Word
2000 or 2003. What exactly are you using at home that presumably creates
styles so differently? Are you actually using styles (in Word 2002 as I
know it, Format, go to Styles and Formatting and a column or bar or whatever
you call it opens up on the right side of the screen.).

"Loris" wrote in message
I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 at work. When I try to create a new
style, the dialog box does not have an underline button nor a Text color
button. Instead it has a drop down text box listing: Latin, Asian, and
Complex. How do I get rid of that and get the other buttons like I have
on
my home PC?

Also, how do I change the Help system font and font size?

Perhaps you haven't looked at the New Style dialog lately. If you're used
to modifying styles using the Format: Font, Paragraph, etc. controls, you
may not have noticed that the dialog now includes two toolbars for the most
common font and paragraph formatting properties.

"Loris" wrote in message
I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 at work. When I try to create a new
style, the dialog box does not have an underline button nor a Text color
button. Instead it has a drop down text box listing: Latin, Asian, and
Complex. How do I get rid of that and get the other buttons like I

have
on
my home PC?

Also, how do I change the Help system font and font size?

It sounds as if you have enabled an Asian language. As a first step, go to
Start | Programs | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office XP Language
Settings and disable any Asian languages that are enabled. If this doesn't
solve the problem, you may need to rename Normal.dot.

"Loris" wrote in message
I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 at work. When I try to create a new
style, the dialog box does not have an underline button nor a Text color
button. Instead it has a drop down text box listing: Latin, Asian, and
Complex. How do I get rid of that and get the other buttons like I have

on
my home PC?

Also, how do I change the Help system font and font size?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Loris,

The 'Modify style' dialog has a fixed size.
It sounds like at work your administrator
has installed support for additional languages
on your computer. When that occurs the Underline
and color choice buttons are replaced by the
dropdown for language type and you'll need
to click on the [Format] button and then the Font
choice to make those modifications to a style.

The Help files are basically web pages.
The help pane font size is controlled in your
browser settings under View=Text Size

========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

Loris

Thanks, Bob. I guess I didn't effectively articulate what the problem was as
evidenced by some of the other kind responses. Fortunately, you understood
the nature of my problem and offered an effective solution. Thanks for your
help and sorry I took so long to respond.